Chinese autonomous driving company WeRide listed on the Nasdaq on Friday, Oct. 25, 2024.
China News Service | China News Service | Getty Images
BEIJING — Chinese IPOs in the U.S. and Hong Kong are set to increase next year, analysts said, as some high-profile listings outside the mainland this year raise investor optimism over profitable exits.
Chinese autonomous driving company WeRide listed on the Nasdaq Friday with shares rising nearly 6.8%. Earlier this month, Chinese robotaxi operator Pony.ai also filed paperwork to list on the Nasdaq. Both companies have long aimed to go public.
Few large China-based companies have listed in New York since the Didi IPO in the summer of 2021 increased scrutiny by U.S. and Chinese regulators on such listings. The Chinese ride-hailing company was forced to temporarily suspend new user registrations, and got delisted in less than a year.
U.S. and Chinese authorities have since clarified the process for a China-based company to go public in New York. But geopolitics and market changes have substantially reduced U.S. IPOs of Chinese businesses.
“After a couple of slow years, we generally expect the IPO market to revive in 2025, bolstered by interest rate decreases and (to some extent) the conclusion of the U.S. presidential election,” Marcia Ellis, Hong Kong-based global co-chair of private equity practice, Morrison Foerster, said in an email.
“While there is a market perception of regulatory issues between the U.S. and China as being problematic, many of the issues driving this perception have been solved,” she said.
“Chinese companies are becoming increasingly interested in getting listed in Hong Kong or New York, due to difficulty in getting listed in Mainland China and pressure from shareholders to quickly achieve an exit.”
This year, as many as 42 companies have gone public on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, and there were 96 IPO applications pending listing or under processing as of Sept. 30, according to the exchange’s website.
Last week, Horizon Robotics — a Chinese artificial intelligence and auto chip developer — and state-owned bottled water company CR Beverage went public in Hong Kong.
The two were the exchange’s largest IPOs of the year, excluding listings of companies that also trade in the mainland, according to Renaissance Capital, which tracks global IPOs. The firm noted that Chinese delivery giant SF Express is planning for a Hong Kong IPO next month, while Chinese automaker Chery aims for one next year.
Still, the overall pace of Hong Kong IPOs this year is slightly slower than expected, George Chan, global IPO leader at EY, told CNBC in an interview earlier this month.
He said the fourth quarter is generally not a good period for listings and expects most companies to wait until at least February. In his conversations with early stage investors, “they are very optimistic about next year” and are preparing companies for IPOs, Chan said.
The planned listings are generally life sciences, tech or consumer companies, he said.
Hong Kong, then New York
Investor sentiment on Chinese stocks has improved over the last few weeks thanks to high-level stimulus announcements. Lower interest rates also make stocks more attractive than bonds. The Hang Seng Index has surged over 20% so far this year after four straight years of declines.
Many Chinese companies that list in Hong Kong also see it as a way to test investors’ appetite for an IPO in another country, said Reuben Lai, vice president, private capital, Greater China at Preqin.
“Geopolitical tensions make Hong Kong a preferred market,” Ellis said, “but the depth and breadth of US capital markets still make many companies seriously consider New York, especially for those that focus on advanced technology and are not yet profitable, who sometimes believe that their equity stories will be better received by U.S. investors.”
Just over half of IPOs on U.S. exchanges since 2023 have come from foreign-based companies, a 20-year high, according to EY.
Geely-backed Chinese electric car company Zeekr and Chinese-owned Amer Sports both listed in the U.S. earlier this year, according to EY’s list of major cross-border IPOs.
Chinese electric truck manufacturer Windrose said it intends to list in the U.S. in the first half of 2025, with a dual listing in Europe later that year. The company, which aims to deliver 10,000 trucks by 2027, on Sunday announced it moved its global headquarters to Belgium.
A recovery in Chinese IPOs in the U.S. and Hong Kong can help funds cash out on their early stage investments in startups. The lack of IPOs had reduced the incentive for funds to back startups.
Now, investors are looking at China again, after recently deploying capital to India and the Middle East, Preqin’s Lai said. “I’m definitely seeing a greater potential from now in China whether it’s money coming back, valuation of the companies, exit environment [or] performance of the funds.”
While the pickup in investor activity is far from levels seen in the last two years, the nascent recovery includes someinvestments in consumer products such as milk tea and supermarkets, Lai said.
Warren Buffett went on the record Friday to deny social media posts after President Donald Trump shared on Truth Social a fan video that claimed the president is tanking the stock market on purpose with the endorsement of the legendary investor.
Trump on Friday shared an outlandish social media video that defends his recent policy decisions by arguing he is deliberately taking down the market as a strategic play to force lower interest and mortgage rates.
“Trump is crashing the stock market by 20% this month, but he’s doing it on purpose,” alleged the video, which Trump posted on his Truth Social account.
The video’s narrator then falsely states, “And this is why Warren Buffett just said, ‘Trump is making the best economic moves he’s seen in over 50 years.'”
The president shared a link to an X post from the account @AmericaPapaBear, a self-described “Trumper to the end.” The X post itself appears to be a repost of a weeks-old TikTok video from user @wnnsa11. The video has been shared more than 2,000 times on Truth Social and nearly 10,000 times on X.
Buffett, 94, didn’t single out any specific posts, but his conglomerate Berkshire Hathaway outright rejected all comments claimed to be made by him.
“There are reports currently circulating on social media (including Twitter, Facebook and Tik Tok) regarding comments allegedly made by Warren E. Buffett. All such reports are false,” the company said in a statement Friday.
CNBC’s Becky Quick spoke to Buffett Friday about this statement and he said he wanted to knock down misinformation in an age where false rumors can be blasted around instantaneously. Buffett told Quick that he won’t make any commentary related to the markets, the economy or tariffs between now and Berkshire’s annual meeting on May 3.
‘A tax on goods’
While Buffett hasn’t spoken about this week’s imposition of sweeping tariffs from the Trump administration, his view on such things has pretty much always been negative. Just in March, the Berkshire CEO and chairman called tariffs “an act of war, to some degree.”
“Over time, they are a tax on goods. I mean, the tooth fairy doesn’t pay ’em!” Buffett said in the news interview with a laugh. “And then what? You always have to ask that question in economics. You always say, ‘And then what?'”
During Trump’s first term, Buffett opined at length in 2018 and 2019 about the trade conflicts that erupted, warning that the Republican’s aggressive moves could cause negative consequences globally.
“If we actually have a trade war, it will be bad for the whole world … everything intersects in the world,” Buffett said in a CNBC interview in 2019. “A world that adjusts to something very close to free trade … more people will live better than in a world with significant tariffs and shifting tariffs over time.”
Buffett has been in a defensive mode over the past year as he rapidly dumped stocks and raised a record amount of cash exceeding $300 billion. His conglomerate has a big U.S. focus and has large businesses in insurance, railroads, manufacturing, energy and retail.
Check out the companies making headlines in midday trading: Bank stocks — Major banks declined on Friday, as President Donald Trump’s new tariff policies increasingly raised fears of a U.S. economic pullback. Shares of Goldman Sachs , Citigroup , Morgan Stanley and Wells Fargo tumbled about 8%. JPMorgan dropped 7%. Tesla , Palantir Technologies — Top picks among retail investors were not able to buck Friday’s sell-off. Electric vehicle maker Tesla dropped around 10%, while defense technology stock Palantir tumbled 12%. Property stocks — Real estate stocks Prologis and Simon Property Group each slipped about 3% on Friday. Property stocks are sensitive to consumers’ discretionary spending levels. Apple — Shares of the iPhone maker slid more than 5% on China’s retaliatory duties against the U.S. China makes up for about 80% of Apple’s production capacity with about 90% of iPhones assembled in the country, according to Evercore ISI estimates. China funds — China-focused exchange-traded funds fell after the country’s finance ministry announced a 34% tariff on U.S. imports beginning April 10, in response to the Trump administration’s cumulative 54% duty on Chinese goods. The KraneShares CSI China Internet ETF (KWEB) declined more than 9%, while the iShares MSCI China ETF (MCHI) and the iShares China Large-Cap ETF (FXI) dropped 7% each. Chipmakers — Semiconductor stocks with notable exposure to China slipped. Shares of Marvell Technology fell about 12%, while Intel lost 10%. Nvidia and Broadcom shares each declined more than 7%. Manufacturing stocks — Shares of farm and construction equipment manufacturers declined amid the latest tariff updates. Deere and CNH Industrial dropped 4% and 6%, respectively, while Caterpillar and AGCO tumbled more than 5%. UBS analyst Steven Fisher said in a note to clients that “the trade dynamics are a headwind to the ag sector and to farm machinery companies, as farmers tend to prefer free trade, rather than rely on government payments.” Boeing , GE Aerospace — Boeing slid more than 9%, and GE Aerospace dropped more than 8%. Trump’s raft of tariffs threaten to drive the cost of aircraft, engines and other aerospace products higher. Shell — Shares of the London-based energy company slid more than 8% after Trump’s tariffs led U.S. oil prices to drop to their lowest level since 2021 this week. Casino stocks — Casino operators in Macao declined on Friday. Shares of Las Vegas Sands slipped about 8%, while Wynn Resorts and MGM Resorts International each declined about 4%. — CNBC’s Alex Harring, Sean Conlon, Lisa Han and Hakyung Kim contributed reporting.
US Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell holds a press conference after the Monetary Policy Committee meeting, at the Federal Reserve in Washington, DC on March 19, 2025.
Roberto Schmidt | Afp | Getty Images
Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell said Friday that he expects President Donald Trump’s tariffs to raise inflation and lower growth, and indicated that the central bank won’t move on interest rates until it gets a clearer picture on the ultimate impacts.
In a speech delivered before business journalists in Arlington, Va., Powell said the Fed faces a “highly uncertain outlook” because of the new reciprocal levies the president announced Wednesday.
Though he said the economy currently looks strong, he stressed the threat that tariffs pose and indicated that the Fed will be focused on keeping inflation in check.
“Our obligation is to keep longer-term inflation expectations well anchored and to make certain that a one-time increase in the price level does not become an ongoing inflation problem,” Powell said in prepared remarks. “We are well positioned to wait for greater clarity before considering any adjustments to our policy stance. It is too soon to say what will be the appropriate path for monetary policy.”
The remarks came shortly after Trump called on Powell to “stop playing politics” and cut interest rates because inflation is down.
There’s been a torrent of selling on Wall Street following the Trump announcement of 10% across-the-board tariffs, along with a menu of reciprocal charges that are much higher for many key trading partners.
Powell noted that the announced tariffs were “significantly larger than expected.”
“The same is likely to be true of the economic effects, which will include higher inflation and slower growth,” he said. “The size and duration of these effects remain uncertain.”
Focused on inflation
While Powell was circumspect about how the Fed will react to the changes, markets are pricing in an aggressive set of interest rate cuts starting in June, with a rising likelihood that the central bank will slice at least a full percentage point off its key borrowing rate by the end of the year, according to CME Group data.
However, the Fed is charged with keeping inflation anchored with full employment.
Powell stressed that meeting the inflation side of its mandate will require keeping inflation expectations in check, something that might not be easy to do with Trump lobbing tariffs at U.S. trading partners, some of whom already have announced retaliatory measures.
A greater focus on inflation also would be likely to deter the Fed from easing policy until it assesses what longer-term impact tariffs will have on prices. Typically, policymakers view tariffs as just a temporary rise in prices and not a fundamental inflation driver, but the broad nature of Trump’s move could change that perspective.
“While tariffs are highly likely to generate at least a temporary rise in inflation, it is also possible that the effects could be more persistent,” Powell said. “Avoiding that outcome would depend on keeping longer-term inflation expectations well anchored, on the size of the effects, and on how long it takes for them to pass through fully to prices.”
Core inflation ran at a 2.8% annual rate in February, part of a general moderating pattern that is nonetheless still well above the Fed’s 2% target.
In spite of the elevated anxiety over tariffs, Powell said the economy for now “is still in a good place,” with a solid labor market. However, he mentioned recent consumer surveys showing rising concerns about inflation and dimming expectations for future growth, pointing out that longer-term inflation expectations are still in line with the Fed’s objectives.
Get Your Ticket to Pro LIVE
Join us at the New York Stock Exchange! Uncertain markets? Gain an edge with CNBC Pro LIVE, an exclusive, inaugural event at the historic New York Stock Exchange.
In today’s dynamic financial landscape, access to expert insights is paramount. As a CNBC Pro subscriber, we invite you to join us for our first exclusive, in-person CNBC Pro LIVE event at the iconic NYSE on Thursday, June 12.
Join interactive Pro clinics led by our Pros Carter Worth, Dan Niles, and Dan Ives, with a special edition of Pro Talks with Tom Lee. You’ll also get the opportunity to network with CNBC experts, talent and other Pro subscribers during an exciting cocktail hour on the legendary trading floor. Tickets are limited!