Connect with us

Personal Finance

Here’s what you need to know about financial influencers

Published

on

Jaap Arriens | Nurphoto | Getty Images

TikTok’s fate is still uncertain.

While the Supreme Court last week upheld the law that effectively bans TikTok from the U.S., one of Trump’s first actions as president was an executive order to pause the ban for 75 days, starting Jan. 20.

The app’s future may shift how young adults learn about personal finance. Gen Zers, or those born between 1997 and 2012, often rely on TikTok’s financial community, or #FinTok, as a source of information about money.

A 2024 report by the CFA Institute found that the generation is more likely than older generations to engage with “finfluencer” — or financial influencer — content on TikTok, YouTube and Instagram, in part because they have less access to professional financial advisors and a preference for obtaining information online.

More from Personal Finance:
Biden announces final round of student loan forgiveness
Steps homeowners and renters should take after a wildfire
What to know about the $1,400 payments

Americans last year turned to TikTok for financial advice on topics including budgeting (25%), investing (24%), credit cards and credit scores (33%), according to a recent report by Chime, a financial technology company.

The site polled 2,000 U.S. adults from November 1 to 16. It also analyzed user engagement patterns on TikTok compared with data from platforms like Google Trends and Exploding Topics, which track popularity and growth of trends over time.

Leading up to the law’s initial Jan. 19 deadline for TikTok, finfluencers had been directing their followers to other platforms like Instagram and YouTube. Individuals also downloaded social media apps like RedNote as TikTok substitutes.

But whatever ends up happening with TikTok, finfluencers are here to stay. Here’s how to vet their advice.

The value of financial advice on TikTok

About 65% of respondents in Chime’s survey said they feel more financially secure since using TikTok. Another 68% say #FinTok has improved their financial situation at home.

“For 2025, TikTok users are gravitating toward digestible personal finance tips that incorporate budgeting apps, micro-investing and community-based saving challenges,” said certified financial planner Douglas Boneparth, president and founder of Bone Fide Wealth, a wealth management firm based in New York City that focuses on millennials, young professionals and entrepreneurs.

Some viral TikTok trends are worth applying to your finances in 2025, like “loud budgeting,” experts say. The trend encourages consumers to take control of their finances and be vocal about making money-conscious decisions rather than overspending.

Essentially, “loud budgeting is just financial boundaries,” financial therapist Lindsay Bryan-Podvin, author of “The Financial Anxiety Solution” and founder of Mind Money Balance.

A short-term, no-spend challenge can also be an opportunity to do a “gut check on where you’re spending and where you’re saving,” Bryan-Podvin said.

TikTok 'refugees' stream to Chinese app RedNote

“These trends are worth adopting if you verify the underlying strategies [… and] modify them to align with your personal financial goals and risk tolerance,” said Boneparth, who is a member of the CNBC Financial Advisor Council.

But a lot of incorrect or risky advice appears on social media, too. About 27% of social media users believed misleading financial advice or misinformation on social media, according to Edelman Financial Engines. About 42% of surveyed adults in their 30s have fallen prey to bad financial advice in social platforms, and 2 in 10 have been affected more than once, the report found.

Edelman polled 3,008 adults of ages 30 and up from June 12 to July 2024. The total sample included 1,500 respondents between ages 45 and 70 with household assets between $500 and $3 million.

Vet financial content and find other sources

It’s important for social media users to be cautious about the content that influencers share, experts say. 

“There’s really no barrier to entry for [an] influencer to participate on a platform,” said CFP Brian Walsh, head of financial planning advice at SoFi, a personal finance and financial planning technology company.

While social media helps people easily access information and get unique insights, it can be concerning when it comes to information you’d apply to your personal finances, he said.

“There’s nothing stopping someone with a ton of followers from promoting something that’s completely wrong,” Walsh said.

Individuals who are affected by risky or incorrect advice they took from a social media creator can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, according to Amy Miller, an accredited financial counselor and manager of America Saves, a campaign managed by the Consumer Federation of America.

Otherwise, here are three key steps to consider: 

1. Look for other sources of other information

In most instances, you might not find experienced financial advisors on TikTok like on other social platforms, according to Winnie Sun, co-founder and managing director of Irvine, California-based Sun Group Wealth Partners.

Much of it has to do with compliance rules. In order for financial planners to maintain their licensing, they must adhere to certain guidelines on what information they’re allowed to share. It’s easier to track and review content posted on some platforms — TikTok isn’t one of them.

“I’m not allowed to share information on TikTok,” said Sun, who is also a CNBC FA Council member.

You can typically find licensed financial professionals actively sharing content on platforms like LinkedIn, YouTube and X, she said.

It’s also “absolutely crucial” to develop a basic level of financial literacy before turning to social media for advice, said SoFi’s Walsh.

Look for online courses, join financial forums and subscribe to legitimate publications to gain financial literacy, experts say. Organizations like the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau also provide free educational resources.

2. Do a background check on the content creator

Search for designations and look up the creator’s background, Walsh said: “The CFP [certified financial planner designation] is really the baseline when it comes to financial planning.”

You can enter the content creator’s name on BrokerCheck to see if they have any credentials. If they are accredited, find out if they have any disclosures, a red flag which means they’ve gotten into trouble in the past.

3. Verify the advice

If the content creator is not actively in the financial industry or lacks accreditation altogether, be careful about what they say. Be cautious if they are promising quick results and if they speak in absolutes, SoFi’s Walsh said — it can take a long time to save for an emergency, pay off credit card debt or learn how to invest.

“So promising get rich quick or overnight sensations […] that’s a big red flag for me,” Walsh said.

Also be careful if a creator talks about how one product or solution can answer all of your problems, he explained.

Outside of the basics like spending less than you make and saving money, there are “very few absolutes,” Walsh said.

Cross-reference an influencer’s claims with sources like government regulators and content from reputable financial professionals and publications, Boneparth said. If you need personalized advice, consider reaching out to a certified financial planner, a tax professional or a licensed investment advisor, he said.

Continue Reading

Personal Finance

Trump administration loses appeal of DOGE Social Security restraining order

Published

on

A person holds a sign during a protest against cuts made by U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration to the Social Security Administration, in White Plains, New York, U.S., March 22, 2025. 

Nathan Layne | Reuters

The Trump administration’s appeal of a temporary restraining order blocking the so-called Department of Government Efficiency from accessing sensitive personal Social Security Administration data has been dismissed.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit on Tuesday dismissed the government’s appeal for lack of jurisdiction. The case will proceed in the district court. A motion for a preliminary injunction will be filed later this week, according to national legal organization Democracy Forward.

The temporary restraining order was issued on March 20 by federal Judge Ellen Lipton Hollander and blocks DOGE and related agents and employees from accessing agency systems that contain personally identifiable information.

More from Personal Finance:
Judge slams Social Security chief for agency shutdown ‘threats’
Social Security changes may impact service, benefit payments
Trump pick to lead Social Security faces questions on DOGE

That includes information such as Social Security numbers, medical provider information and treatment records, employer and employee payment records, employee earnings, addresses, bank records, and tax information.

DOGE team members were also ordered to delete all nonanonymized personally identifiable information in their possession.

The plaintiffs include unions and retiree advocacy groups, namely the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, the Alliance for Retired Americans and the American Federation of Teachers. 

“We are pleased the 4th Circuit agreed to let this important case continue in district court,” Richard Fiesta, executive director of the Alliance for Retired Americans, said in a written statement. “Every American retiree must be able to trust that the Social Security Administration will protect their most sensitive and personal data from unwarranted disclosure.”

The Trump administration’s appeal ignored standard legal procedure, according to Democracy Forward. The administration’s efforts to halt the enforcement of the temporary restraining order have also been denied.

“The president will continue to seek all legal remedies available to ensure the will of the American people is executed,” Liz Huston, a White House spokesperson, said via email.

Fiserv CEO on the nomination to Social Security Commisioner role

The Social Security Administration did not respond to a request from CNBC for comment.

Immediately after the March 20 temporary restraining order was put in place, Social Security Administration Acting Commissioner Lee Dudek said in press interviews that he may have to shut down the agency since it “applies to almost all SSA employees.”

Dudek was admonished by Hollander, who called that assertion “inaccurate” and said the court order “expressly applies only to SSA employees working on the DOGE agenda.”

Dudek then said that the “clarifying guidance” issued by the court meant he would not shut down the agency. “SSA employees and their work will continue under the [temporary restraining order],” Dudek said in a March 21 statement.

Don’t miss these insights from CNBC PRO

Continue Reading

Personal Finance

Most credit card users carry debt, pay over 20% interest: Fed report

Published

on

Julpo | E+ | Getty Images

Many Americans are paying a hefty price for their credit card debt.

As a primary source of unsecured borrowing, 60% of credit cardholders carry debt from month to month, according to a new report by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

At the same time, credit card interest rates are “very high,” averaging 23% annually in 2023, the New York Fed found, also making credit cards one of the most expensive ways to borrow money.

“With the vast majority of the American public using credit cards for their purchases, the interest rate that is attached to these products is significant,” said Erica Sandberg, consumer finance expert at CardRates.com. “The more a debt costs, the more stress this puts on an already tight budget.”

More from Personal Finance:
How to spring-clean your finances
Americans are suffering from ‘sticker shock’ — how to adjust
1 in 5 Americans are ‘doom spending’ — how that can backfire

Most credit cards have a variable rate, which means there’s a direct connection to the Federal Reserve’s benchmark. And yet, credit card lenders set annual percentage rates well above the central bank’s key borrowing rate, currently targeted in a range between 4.25% to 4.5%, where it has been since December.

Following the Federal Reserve’s rate hike in 2022 and 2023, the average credit card rate rose from 16.34% to more than 20% today — a significant increase fueled by the Fed’s actions to combat inflation.

“Card issuers have determined what the market will bear and are comfortable within this range of interest rates,” said Matt Schulz, chief credit analyst at LendingTree.

APRs will come down as the central bank reduces rates, but they will still only ease off extremely high levels. With just a few potential quarter-point cuts on deck, APRs aren’t likely to fall much, according to Schulz.

Credit card debt?

Despite the steep cost, consumers often turn to credit cards, in part because they are more accessible than other types of loans, Schulz said. 

In fact, credit cards are the No. 1 source of unsecured borrowing and Americans’ credit card tab continues to creep higher. In the last year, credit card debt rose to a record $1.21 trillion.

Because credit card lending is unsecured, it is also banks’ riskiest type of lending.

“Lenders adjust interest rates for two primary reasons: cost and risk,” CardRates’ Sandberg said.

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s research shows that credit card charge-offs averaged 3.96% of total balances between 2010 and 2023. That compares to only 0.46% and 0.43% for business loans and residential mortgages, respectively.

As a result, roughly 53% of banks’ annual default losses were due to credit card lending, according to the NY Fed research.

“When you offer a product to everyone you are assuming an awful lot of risk,” Schulz said.

Further, “when times get tough they get tough for most everybody,” he added. “That makes it much more challenging for card issuers.”

The best way to pay off debt

The best move for those struggling to pay down revolving credit card debt is to consolidate with a 0% balance transfer card, experts suggest.

“There is enormous competition in the credit card market,” Sandberg said. Because lenders are constantly trying to capture new cardholders, those 0% balance transfer credit card offers are still widely available.

Cards offering 12, 15 or even 24 months with no interest on transferred balances “are basically the best tool in your toolbelt when it comes to knocking down credit card debt,” Schulz said. “Not accruing interest for two years on a balance is pretty hard to argue with.”

Subscribe to CNBC on YouTube.

Continue Reading

Personal Finance

The 60/40 portfolio may no longer represent ‘true diversification’: Fink

Published

on

Andrew Ross Sorkin speaks with BlackRock CEO Larry Fink during the New York Times DealBook Summit in the Appel Room at the Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York City on Nov. 30, 2022.

Michael M. Santiago | Getty Images

It may be time to rethink the traditional 60/40 investment portfolio, according to BlackRock CEO Larry Fink.

In a new letter to investors, Fink writes the traditional allocation comprised of 60% stocks and 40% bonds that dates back to the 1950s “may no longer fully represent true diversification.”

“The future standard portfolio may look more like 50/30/20 — stocks, bonds and private assets like real estate, infrastructure and private credit.” Fink writes.

Most professional investors love to talk their book, and Fink is no exception. BlackRock has pursued several recent acquisitions — Global Infrastructure Partners, Preqin and HPS Investment Partners — with the goal of helping to increase investors’ access to private markets.

More from Personal Finance:
Why uncertainty makes the stock market go haywire
Investors are ‘miles ahead’ if they avoid 3 things, CIO says
How investors can ready their portfolios for a recession

The effort to make it easier to incorporate both public and private investments in a portfolio is analogous to index versus active investments in 2009, Fink said.

Those investment strategies that were then considered separately can now be blended easily at a low cost.

Fink hopes the same will eventually be said for public and private markets.

Yet shopping for private investments now can feel “a bit like buying a house in an unfamiliar neighborhood before Zillow existed, where finding accurate prices was difficult or impossible,” Fink writes.

60/40 portfolio still a ‘great starting point’

After both stocks and bonds saw declines in 2022, some analysts declared the 60/40 portfolio strategy dead. In 2024, however, such a balanced portfolio would have provided a return of about 14%.

“If you want to keep things very simple, the 60/40 portfolio or a target date fund is a great starting point,” said Amy Arnott, portfolio strategist at Morningstar.

If you’re willing to add more complexity, you could consider smaller positions in other asset classes like commodities, private equity or private debt, she said.

However, a 20% allocation in private assets is on the aggressive side, Arnott said.

The total value of private assets globally is about $14.3 trillion, while the public markets are worth about $247 trillion, she said.

For investors who want to keep their asset allocations in line with the market value of various asset classes, that would imply a weighting of about 6% instead of 20%, Arnott said.

Yet a 50/30/20 portfolio is a lot closer to how institutional investors have been allocating their portfolios for years, said Michael Rosen, chief investment officer at Angeles Investments.

BlackRock CEO Larry Fink: Infrastructure will be the largest growing sector in private capital

The 60/40 portfolio, which Rosen previously said reached its “expiration date,” hasn’t been used by his firm’s endowment and foundation clients for decades.

There’s a key reason why. Institutional investors need to guarantee a specific return, also while paying for expenses and beating inflation, Rosen said.

While a 50/30/20 allocation may help deliver “truly outsized returns” to the mass retail market, there’s also a “lot of baggage” that comes with that strategy, Rosen said.

There’s a lack of liquidity, which means those holdings aren’t as easily converted to cash, Rosen said.

What’s more, there’s generally a lack of transparency and significantly higher fees, he said.

Prospective investors should be prepared to commit for 10 years to private investments, Arnott said.

And they also need to be aware that measurement issues with asset classes like private equity means past performance data may not be as reliable, she said.

For the average person, the most likely path toward tapping into private equity will be part of a 401(k) plan, Arnott said. So far, not a lot of companies have added private equity to their 401(k) offerings, but that could change, she said.

“We will probably see more plan sponsors adding private equity options to their lineups going forward,” Arnott said.

Don’t miss these insights from CNBC PRO

Continue Reading

Trending