Workers transporting soil containing rare earth elements for export at a port in Lianyungang, Jiangsu province, China, Oct. 31, 2010.
Stringer | Reuters
BEIJING — China will start limiting exports of critical metal tungsten this weekend, just as alternatives to Chinese suppliers of the metal are reopening.
It’s a reversal of past decades, during which, according to analysts, Chinese businesses poured cheap tungsten into the global market to put competitors out of business — eventually controlling 80% of the supply chain, according to Argus. Tungsten is an extremely hard metal used in weapons and semiconductors.
As part of new rules limiting exports of “dual use” goods — which can be used for military or civilian purposes — China’s Ministry of Commerce earlier this month released a list indicating that businesses wanting to export a range of tungsten and critical mineral products would need to apply for licenses. The latest measures will take effect Dec. 1.
The move comes as escalating U.S.-China tensions boost demand for non-China tungsten. The U.S. Defense Department has banned its contractors from buying China-mined tungsten starting Jan. 1, 2027.
“It’s a bit late for the Chinese on tungsten,” said Christopher Ecclestone, principal and mining strategist at Hallgarten & Company.
“Everybody needs more tungsten. That’s the message out there right now,” he said. “The thing that’ll prompt more tungsten is not a Chinese ban. It’s a Chinese ban causing [it to become more] profitable to mine tungsten.”
Ecclestone pointed out that tungsten prices have not reacted much to China’s announcement. For mining the metal to be significantly profitable, he estimates prices would need to trade $50 higher than their current price of around $335 — measured by the industry in per metric ton units of ammonium para tungstate, in which one metric ton unit is 10 kilograms.
Higher prices in the U.S. alone could encourage more tungsten production.
While China restricts tungsten exports, the U.S. increased tariffs on Chinese tungsten by 25% in September. The majority of public comments on the U.S. tungsten tariffs supported the duties, noting benefits for domestic manufacturing. Some even requested the duties rise to 50%.
It may take years to open a mine, but more tariffs, expected under a Trump administration, could make it “more commercially viable” for some U.S. mining projects to reopen, said Cullen S. Hendrix, senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.
‘Friendshoring’ tungsten
The U.S. has not commercially mined tungsten since 2015, according to official records. But this year, one of the world’s largest mines for the metal is moving close to resuming production in South Korea.
Canada-based Almonty Industries said last week it came one step closer to fully reopening the Sangdong mine and processing plant with the installation of grinding equipment. The mine, more than 10 hours east of Seoul by bus, closed in 1994.
Almonty aims to restore Sangdong to around 50% of its potential output by summer 2025, CEO Lewis Black told CNBC last month, after a ceremony that highlighted cooperation with the local government.
He noted that 90% of South Korea’s tungsten comes from China, and that Chinese companies might invest in other businesses to maintain their market share indirectly.
Jeong Kwang-yeol, the vice governor for economic affairs in Gangwon where Sangdong is located, said the region is willing to offer foreign investors incentives as he hopes the mine can become an anchor for other industrial companies to expand in the region. He cited estimates that the first phase of the mine would create 250 jobs and 1,500 indirect positions.
Almonty currently operates a tungsten mine in Portugal. In 2015, the company completed an acquisition that gave it the mining rights to Sangdong, and in 2021 it obtained $75.1 million for project financing from German state bank KfW IPEX-Bank. Almonty said overall investment in Sangdong so far has exceeded $130 million.
“In the medium-term, the U.S. will need to rely on friendshoring” for tungsten, said Gracelin Baskaran, director of the critical minerals security program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. She noted that Almonty has committed 45% of the South Korea Sangdong mine to the U.S. through a long-term supply contract.
Demand for tungsten in and outside China is expected to rise, keeping tungsten prices elevated in the near term, said Emre Uzun, ferro-alloys and steel analyst at Fastmarkets. But starting late next year, he expects increased non-China supply to help stabilize raw tungsten prices.
“Outside China, demand will also rise, but supply is expected to grow when operations expand and projects progress,” he said, pointing to the Sangdong mine and tungsten projects in Kazakhstan, Australia and Spain.
U.S. tungsten deposits
Despite the lack of tungsten production in the United States, the U.S. Geological Survey has identified around 100 sites in 12 U.S. states with significant amounts of the metal: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nevada, Texas, Utah and Washington.
In Idaho, roughly 4 hours away from Boise, a small Canadian company called Demesne Resources plans in coming days to close an eight-year deal worth $5.8 million to acquire the IMA tungsten mine, CEO Murray Nye said on Tuesday. He expects the mine could begin production by spring.
Nye said decades of historical records indicate the mine has significant quantities of tungsten, silver and molybdenum, a metal often used to strengthen others. That, he said, has the makings of what he expects to be a “nice, profitable mine.”
Check out the companies making headlines in midday trading. Lululemon – The athleisure company saw shares plunging more than 11% after President Donald Trump’s imposition of tariffs on countries where the firm imports a big portion of its products. In 2024, Lululemon sourced 40% of its products from Vietnam, which was hit by a 46% tariff by the administration. Almost 90% of Lululemon’s products are made in Vietnam, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Bangladesh. Deckers Outdoor – Shares of the footwear company plunged more than 14% following Trump’s reciprocal tariffs rollout. The Ugg maker has 68 supply chain partners in Vietnam and 125 suppliers in China. Nike – The athletic apparel stock declined 12.1% following the Trump administration’s wide-ranging tariffs upon major trading partners. Nike manufactures roughly half its footwear in China and Vietnam, which will be subject to tariff rates of 54% and 46%, respectively. Discount retail stocks – Shares of Five Below and Dollar Tree shed more than 27% and 9%, respectively, on the heels of the new reciprocal tariff announcement. Both companies are big sellers of imported goods, and Dollar Tree CEO Michael Creedon has said that the company might increase prices to offset the tariff impact. Bank stocks – Shares of several banks Bank stocks pulled back as traders reckoned with the potential economic fallout of Trump’s tariff policy. Shares of Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley each slid nearly 8%, while JPMorgan Chase , Bank of America and Citi fell more than 5%, 9% and 10%, respectively. Ford – The automaker’s stock declined nearly 4%. On Thursday, Ford announced that it’s offering employee pricing to all customers on multiple models in a program called “From America for America.” Trump’s 25% tariffs on imported vehicles went into effect Thursday. Big Tech stocks — Shares of mega-cap technology names plummeted amid investor concerns that the businesses will face pressures from Trump’s tariffs. Tesla declined nearly 5%, while shares of Amazon and Apple fell more than 7% and 8%, respectively. Alphabet shares also moved more than 3% lower. Semiconductor stocks – Shares of chipmakers also took a hit after the tariff announcement, even after the White House said that semiconductors wouldn’t be subject to the new levies. Shares of Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices both fell more than 6%, while Broadcom declined more than 8% and Qualcomm slumped more than 9%. Microsoft – Shares shed about 3% after Bloomberg, citing people familiar with the matter, reported that the company is scaling back its data center projects around the world. RH – The luxury home furnisher nosedived 43.5%, on track for its worst day on record after fourth-quarter earnings and forward guidance came in weaker than expected. RH earned $1.58 per share, excluding items, on $812 million in revenue, while analysts polled by LSEG penciled in $1.92 per share and $830 million in revenue. CEO Gary Friedman told analysts that the company was operating within the ” worst housing market in almost 50 years .” Wayfair – Shares tumbled 25% on the back of Trump’s newly announced tariffs, with countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and the Philippines all receiving higher tariffs than the baseline 10%. During a February earnings call, Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah said that these aforementioned nations “have grown as places where folks have factories and where our goods are coming from.” Lyft – The ride-sharing stock dropped more than 9% after receiving a double downgrade to underperform from buy at Bank of America, citing increasing headwinds from autonomous vehicles. Lamb Weston – Shares gained more than 9% after the food processing company posted better-than-expected third-quarter results. Lamb Weston reported adjusted earnings of $1.10 per share on $1.52 billion in revenue, while analysts polled by FactSet were expecting 86 cents per share on $1.49 billion in revenue. — CNBC’s Alex Harring, Hakyung Kim, Yun Li and Lisa Kailai Han contributed reporting.
Check out the companies making headlines before the bell. Lululemon – Shares tumbled more than 12% on the heels of President Donald Trump’s new wide-ranging tariffs . According to an SEC filing , the company sourced 40% of its products from Vietnam in 2024 – a country that was slammed with a 46% tariff. Almost 90% of Lululemon’s products are made in Vietnam, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Bangladesh. Nike — Shares slumped about 9% after the United States lifted tariffs Wednesday. Nike manufactures roughly half its footwear in China and Vietnam, which will be subject to tariff rates of 54% and 46%, respectively. Discount retailers — Dollar Tree and Five Below tumbled more than 10% and 15%, respectively. Dollar Tree CEO Michael Creedon previously said the company may raise prices on items to offset the impact of new U.S. tariffs. The two companies are big sellers of imported goods. Ford — The automaker slipped 2.3%. Reuters reported that Ford will offer employee pricing to all customers on multiple models to absorb tariff costs, in a program called “From America for America.” Big Tech — Shares of mega-cap technology companies such as Nvidia fell as investors worried that the businesses will come under pressure from President Donald Trump’s new tariff regime. Nvidia dropped more than 5%, as did Tesla . Shares of Amazon.com slid more than 6%. Apple declined by more than 7%. Microsoft — The tech stock declined 2.3%. Bloomberg released another report stating that the XBox and Windows company is scaling back data center projects in the U.S. and overseas. JPMorgan , Citi , Goldman Sachs , Morgan Stanley — Bank stocks retreated sharply early Thursday as investors weighed the economic fallout of Trump’s tariff policy. Shares of JPMorgan Chase were down 3.8%, while Citi, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley all slid more than 4%. RH — The luxury home furnisher plunged 28% after posting weaker fiscal fourth-quarter earnings and first-quarter guidance than Wall Street had estimated. RH earned $1.58 per share, excluding one-time items, on $812 million in revenue in the fourth quarter, while analysts polled by LSEG had penciled in $1.92 per share and $830 million in revenue. CEO Gary Friedman acknowledged to analysts that the company was operating in the “worst housing market in almost 50 years.” Deckers Outdoor — The footwear company that makes Ugg boots sold off more than 12% after the Trump administration’s reciprocal tariffs rollout. Deckers has 68 supply chain partners in Vietnam and 125 suppliers in China. Wayfair — The furniture retailer weakened about 12% on the back of higher U.S. tariffs on goods from Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines. CEO Niraj Shah said during an earnings call in February that the countries “have grown as places where folks have factories and where our goods are coming from.” — CNBC’s Alex Harring, Jesse Pound, Sarah Min and Sean Conlon contributed reporting
‘The Big Money Show’ co-hosts discuss buy now, pay later spending options and the impact it will now have on your credit score.
Small, everyday purchases like a meal from DoorDash are now able to be financed through eat now, pay later options — a practice that some experts deem “predatory.”
“You’ve got to have enough sense to not follow the urge to finance a taco, okay? You have got to be an adult,” career coach Ken Coleman told “The Big Money Show,” Wednesday.
“This is predatory, and it’s going to get a lot of people in deep trouble.”
DoorDash and Klarna are now partnering up to extend buy now, pay later options to consumers. (Reuters, Getty / Getty Images)
Financial wellness experts are continuously sounding the alarm to cash-strapped consumers, warning them of the devastating impact this financial strategy could have on their credit score as some lenders will begin reporting those loans to credit agencies.
Consumers may risk getting hit with late fees and interest rates, similar to credit cards.
“So your sandwich might show up on your FICO score, especially if you pay for it late,” FOX Business’ Jackie DeAngelis explained.
Major players like Affirm, Afterpay, and Klarna have risen to prominence at a time when Americans continue to grapple with persisting inflation, high interest rates and student loan payments, which resumed in October 2023 after a pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ramsey Solutions personal finance expert and ‘The Ramsey Show’ co-host George Kamel discusses the ‘buy now, pay later’ craze and the trend that celebrates the financial benefits of being childless.
“The Big Money Show” co-host Taylor Riggs offered a different perspective, suggesting that company CEOs have a “duty” to attract as many customers as they want.
“Unfortunately for me, this always comes down to financial literacy — which I know is so much in your heart about training people to save now by later,” she told Coleman, who regularly offers financial advice to callers on “The Ramsey Show.”
Coleman continued to come to the defense of financially “desperate” consumers, arguing that companies are targeting “immature” customers.
“I’m for American businesses being able to do whatever they want to do under the law. That’s fine. But let’s still call it what it is: it’s predatory, and they know who their customers are,” Coleman concluded, “And I’m telling you, they’re talking about weak-minded, immature, desperate people.”
FOX Business’ Daniella Genovese contributed to this report.